Humeston Public Library

This blog is written by a librarian in a small town in south central Iowa. Originally, this blog began as a reader's advisory to highlight some of the great reads available to loan to our library patrons. However, the focus of the blog was too narrow so I have changed the address and now include anything involving our local library on this blog site. Enjoy!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Beautiful Tuesday Morning for Bikrarian

It is the third day of RAGBRAI and it is a beautiful sunny morning. It will be cool and comfortable for another hour or so and then I'll really be feeling the heat.

Yesterday , we rode from Spencer to Humboldt - the highest mileage day all week. It was WINDY. The winds were from the south and we had 30 m iles straight into it early in the day. By the time I got to the nice town of Humboldt, I was ready to fall over from exhaustion. There was a station of sports massage therapists set up near my camp so I splurged on a 20 minute massage. It felt wonderful - it was worth the $20 price tag. My only dissapointment with Humboldt was that the party and entertainment was just 2 blocks from my campground. We heard music and associated partying until midnight. Now I like a little party too but after and exhausting day of bike riding and the promise of waking up at 4:15 the next day to do it all again that was a little much for my taste. Maybe in Hampton we'll get a quiet campground.

I hope to see "Quadzilla" on the ride but haven't as of yet. Quadzilla is a bicycle built for four often ridden by a family with 2 kids on the middle seats. Makes it sort of tough for them to goof off and get away from the parents - if they don't want to walk to the next town, they had better be ready to ride when mom and dad are.

I am totally enjoying my quest to stop at all of the libraries on by big ride. Only a few have been closed and I missed Rock Rapids and Spencer because I was too darn tired to go find them.

Time to get back on the bike.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Good to be hearing about your ride across Iowa, Jackie! Stay cool!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home